Monday, May 2, 2011

Shopping for "sales items" at your in-house supermarket

Today we ran desperately low on food and since we couldn't settle on either pasta or rice, we decided to get pizza - a true "once in a year" occasion in our family. I walked to the pizzeria, which turned out not only to save me time, but also cash. As I had to wait 10 minutes I decided to walk around the block instead of sitting and waiting (getting some well needed exercise in too). Sure enough I went past a local mini market that had a good deal on nachos (yes, yes, I know, talk about impulse buying and junk food). I remembered that I had quite a lot of tomatoes left in the fridge which I have to use up latest by tomorrow, so I decided to have Nachos with self-made salsa as "desert" (the recipe is posted).

My hubby loved the idea and we had our "junk food" meal. The left-over salsa, as well as the rest of the unused tomatoes, will be turned into a tomato sauce tomorrow.

I also went through our fruits (or better the sorry amount that we still have) and made a yogurt based smoothie.

Doing what I did with my "sales" items, anyone can do. Rather than throwing away food, that always comes with this guilty feeling (at least for me), you can turn those items that are facing a bleak future of rotting away in some trash hill into nutritious meals or snacks. You just need a little bit of imagination and a few basic recipes that can be adapted to whatever you have on hand (and I will post loads of them as time goes by).

No comments:

Post a Comment