Monday, August 1, 2011

How to organize your plastic containers in a few easy steps

This weekend I finally did it!! After having put it off for 1.5 years I organized my plastic containers. I keep them in a cupboard, and part of it in a large open plastic box. Why? Well, one and a half years ago I started this project and then just got side tracked and banged everything into the cupboard and the box… and this is how it has been since then. The result was that I usually was totally frustrated trying to find lids and containers that actually fit. Since then we have been declutering and blessing other people with the things we don’t love or need any more. So, here is how I did it:

First I took out all the containers and lids and put them on the living room table. When the shelf was cleared out, I wiped it down. 

Then I asked my husband to help me with finding the lids for each container. I was extremely surprised on how many lids did not have a container and vice-versa (don't ask me where they go!). Those I just threw away. 

Third, we decided what containers we wanted and needed. Anything that we had way too much (same size five or seven times… why exactly???), or where the lid doesn’t fit 100% went into the “give away” pile. Anything that was broken went into the bin.

Last everything that we kept went back into the cupboard or into the dishwasher (the containers and lids that had been sitting in the open plastic box all that time really needed some washing). And what do you know, I know have at most only half of the original amount but it is a pleasure opening the cupboard and just taking whatever I need without spending ages and negative energy.

Was it easy? No, not really. It took us over an hour until we had everything back in the cupboard. And there were some items which I had some difficulties letting go, especially something from Tupperware that I just about never used. It was just an expensive item, and I felt guilty of not using it. However, the people that we were able to bless with all those containers that just have no place at our home any more will most probably appreciate and need them more then we have done.

No comments:

Post a Comment