Monday, March 28, 2011

Saving Time vs. Money

Although cutting our grocery bill is one of my highest priorities, I don't have time to prepare everything from stretch.  Since juggling my career, my marriage, household and the pleasure as well as responsibilities that come from being a mom I have to make some compromises.

Although making everything from scratch will probably save a lot of money at the grocery store every month, this may not be true all the time.  Preparing your own meal will save you money, sure, but what if you don't have the time?

This is not an easily answered question.Buying ready-made food (either prepackaged, take away or "home cooked" take away (something that is a big hit in this country) to save you time in the kitchen you're definitely going to end up spending more money than necessary. Not talking about the unnecessary salt and fat that you subject your body to. The golden mild would work best in this case too.

For example, pizza is something that my family doesn't eat that much. Making it takes a lot of time, which I would rather spent otherwise. So about twice to three times a year (told you it is not that much) we get take out pizza. Sure, I have planned about half a dozen times to just prepare one large batch of pizza bases to freeze.... but whom am I kidding.

Another thing I always buy is baked beans. I could make my own, if I could really be bothered, but then buying a can is easier and quicker. I also don't eat it so much.

Or ravioli - which we buy about once a year LOL!!! Sure I could make my own, but seriously, I don't have the time.

Another item I always buy is ketchup. Tomatoes are not the cheapest thing and honestly, I don't have patient to play around with the recipes. This is a stable I buy.

On the other hand, I would never buy a cake. And cookies are also something that you will have a hard time catching me buy (happens about once or twice a year). Or buy pasta sauce.

I am not telling you what to cook and what to buy. Just make sensible decisions. Watch prices on your favorite items and purchase them when they go on sale. However, be flexible and be willing to purchase alternate items.

Honestly, it's all a matter of priorities. If you have the time then by all means cook from scratch whenever and whatever takes your fancy. I sure do.

On the other hand, if you have crazy days like me, when you come home from a long day at work and you are just way too tired to fix dinner from scratch, you might consider balancing the amount you're spending on groceries with the time you will save yourself in the kitchen by stocking up on a few convenience items.

No comments:

Post a Comment