Thursday, April 7, 2011

Extremly easy tomato sauce

Very often recipes call for tomato sauce. Now, if there is a money waster it must be ready made tomato sauce (or pasta sauce). I NEVER purchase tomato sauce. It is just not justified.

Usually, I buy small tubs of tomato paste and reconstruct it to tomato sauce by doing the following:

Mix together:  1 part tomato paste : 2 parts water. 

Add salt and pepper if you really have to, but usually I don't as I season the whole dish in one go.


Want to make pasta sauce? Just add fresh or dried Basel or Oregano.
Want to make Mexican style tomato sauce? No problem, just add some cumin, coriander, chili and/or cayenne pepper and salt. Or just a Mexican/taco spice mix.

This week, I asked my husband to buy a large tub (in this country they come in small or large plastic containers, or in a large tin). He told me that they were out of the small ones and the large tub cost about 3 times the amount as the one in the tin - and the tin holds more!!!!

What I did was I just used what I needed for one meal and transferred the rest to a plastic container which I put into the fridge. I did this, instead of freezing the rest in two small Tupperware type containers, as the weekly menu plan anyway called for tomato paste this week.

What are the things you wouldn't dream of buying? Please drop a note, I always like to learn from others.

No comments:

Post a Comment