Sunday, April 3, 2011

Oven baked chicken


If there is one fool prove dish that you can make it must be oven baked chicken. You seriously have to either burn it or have worked in the school kitchen I attended in order to make it taste horrible.

I usually don't buy a whole chicken and cut it. Yes, it is way cheaper this if you do, but my time is also worth money and if you don't have the right tools, nor the experience it can take up quite a bit cutting the chicken into how many pieces you want. Trust me, I tried it and just wasted too much time.

So, what's the quickest way? Buy the chicken parts you want. When you come home, wash the chicken, marinade it (or rub some herbs into it), place it on trays, cook in oven at about 180°C for an hour (plus minus). You know it is finished "when the juices run clear". Don't know what the means.... neither do I. I just check by inserting the knife into one piece, lift the meat off slightly and check if it is still pink inside. And the good thing is you can make a big batch (the work is really the same) and freeze for later on.

Good marinades are:
  • Any pre-made sauces - anything really, sweet chili sauce, teriyaki sauce (very nice), BBQ sauce
  • Try salad dressing as a marinade. I am not kidding. I did this one today, was a bit skeptical (I read about this several years ago) and the chicken came out ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS. My kids really loved it.
  • A typical spice mix for a rub that I use is garlic, Hungarian pepper (the sweet one) and salt.
My husband said that what I made today was way better then what he gets at this restaurant he likes to go to... And I made it for a fraction of the price they demand.

Have any more ideas? Please post them.

No comments:

Post a Comment