Sunday, August 12, 2012

My Safta raba's Knish Kabak

This is a recipe from my grate grandma who originally came from Moldavia. I don't have many recipes from her, but remember her food was always totally delicious - she passed away when I was 8 or 9 years old and I still remember (says something about her cooking :) )

Serves: 16

puff pastry or phyllo sheets for 2 portions
500-750 gr fresh pumpkin, grated
1 cup raisins
2 tbsp. each sugar and flour
1/8 tsp. salt
ca. 2 tbsp. oil

Preheat the oven to about 175C (moderate hot).

Prepare a baking pan by covering it with baking paper.

In big bowl mix the pumpkin, raisins, sugar, flour and salt.

Take one phyllo sheet and brush it with some oil. Arrange half of the pumpkin on the dough (on the lower end). Sprinkle some oil on pumpkin.
Start rolling the phyllo sheeet up (i.e. away from you). Fold in the sides continue to roll, try to keep the roll as tight as possible. Put the finished roulada on a baking pan. Repeat with the second leaf.

Brush some oil on top of the rouladas.

Bake at 175C for about 35 or until nicely browned.

In my grandma's family Kabak is eaten either hot with our main meal, or, as my grate grand dad prefered it after dinner (but before desert).

No comments:

Post a Comment