Friday, October 26, 2012

Baked Zucchini sticks

When I was a little girl (about 9 I think) my parents took us to Italy. You may think that from all the food I ate there I would tell you how great the pasta and pizza were - and I am sure they were, but I seriously don't remember.
And although I remember the ice cream being yummy, there is only one dish that I still remember the taste - deep fried zucchini sticks.

Now, deep fried zucchini sticks are not something that is really that health concious, so I tried to experiement with it a bit and came up with a baked version (similar to how I prepare schnitzel) that is totally yummi too (it actually comes close to what I remember).

Here it goes:

2 small or 1 large zucchini, cut into sticks

5 tbs flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp black peppper
2 large eggs
1.5  c  panko or bread crumbs
Preheat oven to about 200C and prepare a baking sheet.

Pat the zucchini pieces dry with a paper towel first.
Put the flour, salt and pepper into a blastic bag. Add the zucchini, close the bag and shake until the sticks are well coated with flour. (You could use the drenge it on a plate technique, but I find it easier this way).

One a plate whisk the eggs well, while on a seperate plate put the panko or bread crumbs.

Dip the floury sticks into the eggs, making sure that it is well covered and then covering it with the bread crumbs/ panko. Just like preparing schnitzel, it is quite messy...

Arrange zucchini sticks on a baking sheet without crowding and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden.

No comments:

Post a Comment