Sunday, October 28, 2012

Soljanka - original GDR soup

When growing up I spent quite a bit of time in the GDR (former East Germany). One of the foods that I ate there as a starter many a times was a soup called Soljanka, which created as a way of using up left overs - what a frugal thing to have :)

The recipe here is actually an original from the GDR. I cannot remember where I have it from but I found it in one of my recipe folders and decided to actually make it this week...

This is enough for a family of two adults and two smallish kids as a main meal

500 g meat - anything really goes, fillet, cheap cuts, even sausages or deli meat.
1 large onion
1 tbs oil
1 small jar of pickled cucumbers, 400 g - the ones in vinegar not salt!!!!
1 can of crushed tomatoes, 425 ml
a little chopped garlic (optional)
3/4 liters broth
1 dash of dry white wine
3 tablespoons sour cream or creme fraiche (parve)

Cut the meat into small cubes. Peel the onion and chop.
Heat the oil in a pot and fry the meat and the onion.

In the meantime, cut the pickles into small pieces.

Add the pickles, tomato, tomatoe sauce, garlic (if using), broth and white wine. Bring everything to a boil and cook over medium heat for about 40 min, stiring occasionally.

Serve the soup garnish each with a dolop of sour cream or creme fraiche.

Serve it with slices of bread.

Tip: I remember it being a mix of meat and deli meat. I actually make it with about 300gr of a cheap cut and 200gr of deli meat that I buy as one piece and not sliced.

No comments:

Post a Comment