Monday, October 8, 2012

Rotkohl (Red cabbage German Style)

I grew up on Rothkohl. In Germany, you get it pre-made and it is totally yummi. It is also very healthy. The Germans eat it with Kloesse (potatoe dumplings) and a meat entree
Since I don't live in Germany any more I never get to eat it. I have looked for a decent recipe, however, most recipes I found call for the pre-made one that is then seasoned differently... A few days ago I found a recipe that I could addapt to my taste in one of the books I had for ages (erm... yeah....)So, I made it yesterday for guests that we had over - and they all loved it.

So, here it goes

2 tbs oil
1 large onion, finally chopped
1 large red cabbage, shredded (I cut it finely)
2 apples (or 1 large cooking apple), peeled and finely chopped (or coarsely grated)
1 handfull of raisins
1 cup dry red whine
1/2 -1 cup cider vinegar
4-6 tbs sugar
1-2 tsp salt

Heat the oil in a large saucepan and saute the onions until golden.
Add the rest of the ingredients (start with 1/2 cup of vinegar, 4 tbs sugar and 1tsp salt), bring to a boil and let it simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Adjust the seasoning with the rest of the vinegar, sugar and salt.

You can eat it hot or cold, although I prefer it hot.

This is something that is even better reheated. Adjust the seasoning again when you reheat it.

No comments:

Post a Comment