Sunday, October 14, 2012

What to do with a whole chicken and how to maximise what you get out of it.

Chickens are a staple in my family. However, buying chicken parts can be VERY expensive over here, so I usually try to buy chicken parts (chicken breast, wings etc) only when there is a good deal out there.

I usually buy whole chickens. Two whole chickens make at least 5 to 6 meals in my family.

Trying to take a chicken appart is... well... sort of an adventure at first. A few years ago I tried it and it took me something between 30 to 45 minutes for a chicken. Definately not worth the hassle and I just bought pre-cut chicken pieces.

However, since I love watching the butcher at work I realized that some use just a knife and it takes them less then a minute to take a chicken appart. Now, that is what I call effective.

I got talking to one of them and he told me that he uses a special knife.... I bought myself a very sharp knife (not the one he told me to get cause I didn't get to that shop yet), but what a difference. I think that I need something like 10 minutes now per chicken to take it appart and get it all packed away....

The good thing is, that some of the things are already automized:

The thighs are usually packed all in one bag - sometimes I already put in the marinade - and makes up 1 full meal for the four of us and left overs for a meal for me to take to work (and sometimes I have enough to serve the kids the next day too).

The wings I either throw in with the thighs or collect in a seperate bag (in the freezer) so that I have enough for a meal.

The breast I usually play around with - sometimes I mince the meat, or I make chicken nugets, I cut it up into cubes or stripes for all kind of recipes. But from two chickens I get easily 2 to 4 meals out - depending on what I cook.

And then, last but not least, I always, always dump the bones (sometimes the skin... depending how clean (from feathers) it is) into a pot. I add water and boil it for quite some time, adding water as neccessary. When the "stock" is cooked, I strain it. If I really can be bothered I pull off any meat I can to be used in the soup. You will be surprised about the amount of meat you get out of it.
This stock is the basis for many a soup.... if I really cannot be bothered to make a soup right there and then (or the next day), I just freeze it. The soup usually lasts for 2 meals.

Soooo, today, I took care of the chickens I bought. And while I am writing this, the stock is boiling, the chicken thighs, wings, and half a chicken breast is in the freezer for future uses. The other half of the chicken breast is to be used for a curried lentil and chicken soup. One chicken breast was used to make chicken with cashew nuts

No comments:

Post a Comment